BLACKPINK is preparing to celebrate its 10th debut anniversary on August 8, but YG Entertainment’s limited plans have drawn disappointment and criticism from fans.

Reaching 10 years is considered an important milestone for any K-pop group, especially for BLACKPINK, which has built a major international career and a large global fandom. However, fans said there had been very little advance promotion or anniversary content leading up to the date.

Before the latest announcement, one of the few confirmed projects was a special Heritage Collection of merchandise created in cooperation with the National Museum of Korea. Some fans argued that selling anniversary products was not enough and wanted content that allowed BLACKPINK to communicate and celebrate with BLINKs.

Concerns had already grown following the release of BLACKPINK’s mini album Deadline in February. According to the report, the comeback had limited promotional activities, with no separate music-show appearances or regular group content.

Although the members have busy schedules involving international tours, brand activities, and individual projects, fans said they expected more effort during the group’s 10th anniversary year.

On August 6, just two days before the anniversary, YG Entertainment announced a special offline event through Weverse.

The company stated, “We have prepared a special meeting to celebrate the 10 years BLACKPINK and BLINK have built together. We hope many BLINKs who want to share precious memories with BLACKPINK will participate.”

However, the announcement received mixed reactions because it provided limited details. The event was scheduled for the afternoon of August 8 at an undisclosed location in Seoul, but the exact time and venue were not immediately revealed.

Only 40 fans will reportedly be selected to attend. YG Entertainment also stated that only certain BLACKPINK members who are available due to their schedules will participate, meaning the event may not feature the full group.

The participation requirements also drew criticism. Applications were limited to fans who had joined BLACKPINK’s paid Weverse membership by July 31.

Some fans questioned the condition, claiming that communication from the members on the platform had been limited in recent years. They argued that requiring an existing paid membership could exclude longtime supporters who had stopped renewing it.

Fans also speculated that the event may have been arranged at the last minute because reports and social media updates suggested that not all four members were in South Korea shortly before the anniversary. However, YG Entertainment has not confirmed how long the event had been planned or which members will attend.

The announcement has led to debate over whether the small gathering is a meaningful anniversary event or an attempt to respond quickly to growing fan complaints.

Attention is now focused on whether YG Entertainment and BLACKPINK will reveal additional 10th anniversary content on August 8 that can better celebrate the group’s milestone with fans worldwide.