Former Xdinary Heroes member Gunil has issued an apology through his legal representative while disputing parts of JYP Entertainment’s earlier statement about his departure from the group and the termination of his exclusive contract.
On August 20, Gunil’s lawyer released an official statement addressing the recent controversy surrounding comments attributed to the artist.
The statement began with an apology to Xdinary Heroes fans and the members.
Gunil’s representative said, “First, the artist deeply apologizes for causing concern to Xdinary Heroes fans and the members through this matter.”
The lawyer added that Gunil understands the disappointment felt by longtime supporters and has also personally apologized to his former bandmates for the burden caused by the situation.
Regarding remarks made during a private conversation, the representative acknowledged that Gunil used inappropriate language.
The statement said, “The artist’s use of inappropriate expressions in a private setting cannot be justified for any reason.”
However, his side explained that Gunil had allegedly been under significant emotional pressure at the time due to online posts and what it described as excessive invasions of his privacy. His representative stressed that Gunil recognizes that comments made privately can still carry responsibility.
The statement also denied several additional allegations that circulated online.
According to Gunil’s lawyer, claims that he had regularly and repeatedly insulted Xdinary Heroes fans were not accurate. The representative also denied allegations that Gunil had repeatedly spoken negatively about fellow members or had been involved with another person while in a relationship.
The most notable part of the statement addressed Gunil’s departure from Xdinary Heroes and his contract with JYP Entertainment.
His legal representative stated, “The artist did not voluntarily withdraw from the group and has never agreed to the termination of his exclusive contract.”
The lawyer further argued that, based on their review of the circumstances, they do not believe there were sufficient grounds to terminate the exclusive contract. At the same time, Gunil’s side said he does not want the dispute to create further stress for fans and hopes to continue discussions with JYP Entertainment peacefully.
This differs from JYP Entertainment’s August 13 announcement, which stated that the company and Gunil had held extensive discussions and had “mutually agreed to terminate the exclusive contract.” JYP also announced at the time that Gunil would leave Xdinary Heroes and end his activities with the group.
The conflicting statements mean the exact circumstances surrounding the contract termination are currently disputed between the two sides.
Gunil’s lawyer also addressed the original online post that sparked the controversy, claiming that it contained several statements that were not factual. While the legal team said it believed civil and criminal action could potentially be considered, Gunil reportedly decided not to pursue legal measures against the person who made the post at this time.
The representative explained that Gunil wanted to forgive the individual and focus instead on apologizing to fans and resolving the situation.
The statement concluded, “The artist once again deeply apologizes for causing concern and fatigue to the fans and members. We hope the remaining procedures can be resolved smoothly and quickly.”
The controversy began after a person identifying herself as Gunil’s former girlfriend posted allegations online on August 12. She made several claims about his private life and his attitude toward fans and also released an alleged recording of a private phone conversation.
Gunil’s legal representative has now denied several of those allegations while acknowledging that inappropriate language was used during a private call.
For now, JYP Entertainment and Gunil’s legal representative have presented different accounts regarding whether the termination of his exclusive contract was mutually agreed upon.